Google for South Africa 2022 was held on 9 February. The tech giant shared its plans to assist startups, SMMEs, and nonprofits in South Africa, and help the country’s economic recovery process through large-scale investment.
Google plans to invest $1 billion over five years to support Africa’s digital transformation.
“To date, 22 South African nonprofit organisations have tapped into $6.5 million in Google.org grants to bolster their work supporting under-served Black youth, SMMEs, and women with skills and knowledge to improve their livelihoods,” said Dr Alistair Mokoena, country director, Google South Africa.
Google also launched the ‘Hustle Academy’ in partnership with the Department of Small Business Development. They want to provide support, training, and resources to small businesses.
- Small Businesses contribute 52% to South Africa’s GDP.
- Small businesses have increased their influence in construction and business services.
- Small businesses are key for economic recovery.
Hustle Academy by Google
Let’s digitize your business with the Hustle Academy and Google products.
This is a one-week mentorship program from 21 February 2022. You get access to live training sessions, 1-1 mentorship, and masterclasses by industry leaders, all for FREE.
The Hustle Academy is currently open to businesses in Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa.
Hustle Academy by Google Program
Day 1: Business Strategy
- Undertake a SWOT analysis of your business strategy-to-date
- Use this to design a growth plan for the coming year which focuses on the steps your business can take to attract new customers and increase sales
Day 2: Business Development
- Determine your revenue goals for the next year
- Understand your audience
- Identify market trends
- Conduct competitor analysis
- Define your unique value proposition
- Discover ways in which you can move customers through the consumer funnel
Day 3: Digital Marketing
- Understand the key digital marketing channels available to your business
- Reflect upon the best channels for you
- Discover how to create engaging content to attract and convert customers
- Learn how to measure your overall success
Day 4: Financial Planning
- Explore the steps you can take to plan your finances and create financial forecasts to secure investment
- Build upon this by exploring the different funding routes available and identify possible options for your business
Day 5: Pitching for Success
- Discover top tips you can implement to build your own pitch deck for investors to help your business secure funding
- Utilise the training delivered throughout the week to create your very own pitch deck
Google For South Africa Announcement